Community Health Advisor Projects Health and Costs of Interventions
HealthPartners Institute for Education and Research has introduced an exciting new resource to help public health leaders, decision-makers and others who want to reduce smoking and increase physical activity in their communities. Community Health Advisor is an online tool that provides customizable information about the potential health and cost impact of implementing evidence-based interventions.
Community Health Advisor starts with policies and programs recommended in The Community Guide. It builds on those recommendations by providing customizable information that community leaders can use. How would smoking rates or obesity prevalence change if policies and programs were implemented? What would be the impact of changes in smoking and physical activity rates on illness and death from cancer, cardiovascular disease, or other conditions? And how would medical care costs change with changes in health?
Community Health Advisor includes the following features:
- An interactive tool that generates national, state, and county-level estimates of the health and cost impact of implementing community interventions;
- The option to view estimates by demographic group based on sex, age, and race/ethnicity;
- Summary information about recommendations and evidence from the Community Preventive Services Task Force;
- General information to help users estimate the cost of implementing interventions in their own communities; and
- Links to related resources.
Users can view detailed, 30-year projections for various measures of health behavior, health impact, and medical care cost, including:
- Smoking prevalence and the number of smokers who start smoking or quit;
- Obesity and overweight prevalence and the percentage of the population that meets physical activity guidelines;
- Disease prevalence and health events, including cancers, cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease, and diabetes;
- Years of life and quality-adjusted years of life; and
- Medical care costs from smoking-attributable and obesity-related diseases.
Community Health Advisor was created by the HealthPartners Institute for Education and Research with input from the National Commission on Prevention Priorities. The Community Guide is a collection of recommendations and evidence reviews from the Community Preventive Services Task Force. This project is funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.