Southern Obesity Summit Registration Opens
The Southern Obesity Summit (SOS) will take place this year in Jackson, Mississippi November 15-17. SOS is the largest regional obesity prevention event in the United States, drawing hundreds of participants from the 16 Southern States consisting of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. Together, these states join forces to fight obesity. Registration is now open – please click here to join IMPH at the Summit.
What happens at SOS?
- Participants from 16 southern states convene to publicize effective and emerging obesity prevention and reduction practices in the region and energize grassroots efforts in each state.
- Youth from across the 16 states will come together to identify effective strategies, share experiences and provide their perspective on obesity prevention.
- Attendees will include policymakers, leaders from community-based organizations, federal and state government officials, health care providers, youth and members from national and state associations.
- SOS is a great opportunity for regional partnering, and provides each state access to technical assistance through learning collaboratives.
- The three-day conference offers networking opportunities, fast-paced breakout sessions, workgroup meetings, and plenary sessions that will focus on cross-state collaboration, best practices and youth leadership in obesity prevention.
The 9th Annual Southern Obesity Summit has two overarching goals:
- Help stakeholders strategize next steps to implement policy and program initiatives across all 16 states.
- Effectively engage youth in our strategies to prevent obesity.